Tuesday, January 17, 2012

WWMLKJD



Although our country has been progressively getting more and more aware of our atrocious history and its undeniable, lingering repercussions we are still not living "the dream," his dream. Today is suppose to commemorate a man who lived in a time when the thought of integration terrified the masses, and caused panic almost beyond comprehension. Martin Luther King, Jr. fought a fight raging in the minds of thousands of people who were unable to express their frustrations due to paralyzing fear or crippling hopelessness. This guy not only fought one of the ugliest, debilitating ways of thought with nonviolence, but all the while encouraging love. And throughout my many years tied up in a- let's be frank- flawed educational system never did I realize the multitude of courage he must've had throughout the entire movement until I started reading about him and the movement on my own. The brutal mental and physical violence inflicted on everyone involved who demanded civil rights somehow didn't make it to the classroom.
"The dream" is still coming into fruition, but I just wish this holiday wasn't cheapened by years of blatant indifference and careless exploitation involving awkward children's specials on race that are told with little to no depth, MLK quotes on shot glasses and can openers, the same story of the Civil Rights triumph stated in the same ho-hum way every year. Our country, nay, our world still has a hell of a long way to go, but I do think I can honestly say we're moving in the right direction, but then again that could be totally naive and idealistic statement based in nothing... or what I like to call staying positive and having faith in our world. Thank you Martin Luther King for giving me this ability to write freely...

Guaranteed that if you think of what this country would be like if the Civil Rights movement didn't happen you'll start to feel sick. Unless of course you're a racist... That's the end of my incessant, hapless rambling.




I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment