Saturday, March 20, 2010

MGMT Secret Show and oh yeah, my life

Wow, I haven't updated in a while. Isn't that so predictable to start a blog post with after not writing for a while? Whatever, I do what I want. ha. So, it's been a crazy few weeks filled with many ups and downs, mostly ups seeing as my new perspective on life has allowed me to graciously embrace more of the positive and disregard the negative- yay! Anywho, there are so many awesome things that have been happening in my life, but the most noteworthy/guaranteed to induce incredible amounts of jealousy would be my truly amazing experience at Mercury Lounge where I saw freaking MGMT perform!!! Mercury Lounge is this small venue in the LES that showcases lots of talented bands who wind up being pretty famous years later. MGMT actually performed there before they exploded into the sweet, sweet rhythmic sensation.

So, my roommate's brother bought these tickets online under the guise of some crazy band called like fish leopard or something. I don't remember. Before the show, the group of us were standing around a little anxious about who we would be seeing perform. The crowd was very diverse, of course there were a few hipsters sprinkled in the midst, but there were also people in suits, and girls in crazy heels. It was interesting. The lights dimmed and the stage was quiet. A man came from the crowd up to the mic standing on the stage and asked the crowd if they were excited to see MGMT perform, we all cheered in unison. He then told us to get ready for a treat and proceeded to introduce to us the WORST ventriloquist I have ever seen. He was supposedly on Conan and did some other notable shows, but he was horrendous! It was the most collectively awkward experience of my life. The entire crowd seemed to be shifting in discomfort while mr. ventriloquist waxed on about random incidents, not bothering to hide his moving mouth. It almost seemed like they took some random guy off the street, gave him a dummy, and threw him onstage. After that nonsense was finally over, which felt like HOURS, MGMT came on and played. They were AMAZING, however, yet another potentially fantastic musical experience was botched by the crowd's lack of energy. How could you not dance to "Electric Feel" or "Time to Pretend?!" HOW?! I was dancing of course, but it was so strange. I had a great time though hearing them play live and falling in love with them all over again. I even got to say hey to the bassist! He was really nice. My roommate, her friend, and her brother and I went to some bar afterward called The Local 269, where we befriended the bartender who was super nice and gave us a free round. The bar played some amazing music, too. It was a really relaxed atmosphere, which seems to be hard to find in the city. Also, the card minimum was only $10 and the drinks were cheap! Unheard of!

Whew. This is a long post. Apologies.
Life has been excellent, lots of great things happening. I'm meeting lots of really cool people and falling deeper in love with Brooklyn everyday.

I will try to be more consistent with my blog! I want to be a writer, but you wouldn't know it by the embarrassing gaps of time between entries. Meh.


I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment