Saturday, November 28, 2009

Language

I was on the metro today on my way into DC just to gather some things from my friend's place and I witnessed a perspective changing event, which makes me feel mildly exploitative in that I was covertly relishing in someone else's experience, comparing it to my own and feeling that much more dynamic (and privileged?) being exposed to new, different ideas on humanity. Sign Language. Never have I thought of sign language in the way I should have, as an extremely complex culture that heavily accentuates the importance of expression through hands and body movements. Like any language, sign language formulates unique ideas, thoughts, opinions sometimes nobody can understand, but users of that language.
So these four guys got on the train and sat pretty close to me and immediately started signing. One guy was really animated, telling a story as his friends intently watched and interjected their thoughts occasionally. I felt like I was intruding on their conversation so I stopped sneaking glances at them and presumed pondering about life. Ah life. Ugh life. Yeah... life.
Then, I thought about the way people who speak take for granted the inflection in their voice, the way they change their tones and raise their voices, but then I thought what a horrible thing to think! These friends on the metro obviously had no trouble understanding each other using their own form of communication. There were distinctive ways in which they all signed that were unique to their own personality.

I hope I don't sound completely ignorant or offend anyone who uses sign language, I will never fully understand the complicated culture.

These are just my (incomprehensible) ramblings.

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment