Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ok, So About What I Said Before... We're all doomed

Ok. Forget that post from before. We're all doomed. I want to stay positive about our generation but it's hard when my peers call Jersey Shore and How I Met Your Mother entertainment. Ok, so that last one is a personal aversion to the show. Anyway, as I've been going out and overhearing (eavesdropping) on conversations around my neighborhood I'm sad to say, there are quite a number of mindless, selfish morons midst the Y generation.





For 15 minutes my friend and I endured this torture session that consisted of two girls going on and on about their "friend" who they were apparently "over" because she was posting too many pictures of herself on INSTAGRAM. Seriously, y'all? You're going to spend a good portion of your travel time discussing some girl you don't like who most likely has no inkling of your feelings and if she did she probably could care less and to top it off, you're practically YELLING about it so the entire bus could hear. Ah, yes, the L shuttle bus. Where dreams go to die and discomfort/frustration roosts. So anyway, the conversation does not stop there, although heaven knows it should have, nay, now they move on to, "Which picture should my Facebook profile pic be? I mean they were all so good." The other girl, let's call her girl #2, nodded vigorously in agreement and was also unable to figure out which picture her friend should choose. Girl #2 looked genuinely disconcerted that she couldn't help. It was one of those faces that should be reserved for watching those ASPCA commercials or those awful commercials about starving children, NOT for debating which raunchy picture looked the best on instagram from that PBR keg party the night before. However, my favorite part of this entire episode is the way, let's call her, the "main girl" spoke with such authority when my friend asked her if she could press the yellow tape so the bus knew to stop, but she (over) confidently stated the bus stops at all the L stops until Myrtle/Wycoff. TMI. Of all the ridiculous gobbledygook it was that smug look that really took me over the edge, because all I could think was, How long have you lived here? This brings me to my next point- The vast, harrowing reality of gentrification.

Not too many years before, Bushwick was deemed an extremely dangerous place and dealt with accordingly, which means the government did nothing. Now, however, that the nation's wealthy youth is moving into the "scary neighborhoods" in Brooklyn there are more police around, the streets are being paved, more healthy grocery stores are opening, oh and thousands of people that have been living in Bushwick for generations are being displaced. So when I hear any kind of criticism about Bushwick, about its inhabitants, about its culture by someone who's moved here a few years ago, yeah it makes me a little crazy. When I hear things like the following statements I just feel, ya know, slightly ill... "Bushwick is so much more authentic than Williamsburg," or "I love all the Mexican families that live here," or, "This neighborhood has gotten so much nicer since I moved here last year. So many more coffee shops." Hm. Yes, we've all heard variations of this careless word vomit and endured an evening with an oblivious dud that refuses or better yet, neglects to see what they're saying is I hate to say it folks, downright ignorant. Sigh. Maybe all hope is lost.





I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment