Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sherlock Holmes, Homes.

Sherlock Holmes

I was never an avid reader of the Sherlock Holmes series, nor was I truly invested in the television series, but I can tell you after watching this historical character, portrayed by Robert Downey, Jr., wax on eloquently about disabling someone’s body I became enamored by his poetry and astounding charisma. His character is that of a tormented intellectual who rejects societal norms, favoring only his work and his companion, Watson. Their relationship is quite close, and reports have been that Guy Ritchie intended on putting a gay overtone in Holmes and Watson’s friendship.


To my surprise the dialogue for this movie was not only deliciously multi-syllabic, but it was also intellectually witty and quick. It happens too often language is simplified for the masses’ feeble comprehension. The dialogue in this movie was full of something I thought mainstream films were devoid of, substance. Even movies set in time periods where dialect was distinctively more wordy and long winded, scripts seem to dumb down the language to appeal to large amounts of moviegoers.
The opening scene was captivating. Sherlock Holmes stands in a dark room with a rather large adversary standing right outside. There’s a voice-over of Holmes explaining how he is going to disarm this man using very specific techniques while there is a slow motion shot of him using those techniques on the goon. It’s like a tutorial. Then we are back with Holmes in the moment and he executes his planned attack quickly and with precision. In those short minutes the audience can deduct this movie is going to be badass. Jude Law was an excellent Watson, because he worked so well with Robert Downey, Jr. They had such great chemistry. The only slight trouble I had with the movie was, surprisingly, Rachel McAdams’ character, Irene Adler. I was not emotionally invested in her character at all; it was quite the opposite. Every time she was on the screen I would plainly ask, “Why?” That is not to say she did not perform well, she is a fine actress, but her role in the plot I felt was uninspired. Also, Watson’s fiancee, Mary, played by Kelly Reilly was immaterial. She really could have been a faceless character. However, I am assuming their characters will be more developed in the next movie. Mark Strong played an alright villain, but the movie was all about Watson and Holmes’ methodical, resourceful ways in which they solved cases. It was really fun to watch!

However, there is something about the movie I read in a review that really upset me and left a bitter taste in my mouth.
The New York Post reports the director’s “plan to put a gay spin on the relationship of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in his new movie about the detective and his sidekick could backfire.” Though this may be true considering the stifled minds of America have been multiplying and propagating ignorance and intolerance, the next statement by Michael Medved is nauseating. He states, “There's not a seething, bubbling hunger to see straight stars impersonating homosexuals...I think they're just trying to generate controversy . . . They know that making Holmes and Watson homosexual will take away two-thirds of their box office. Who is going to want to see Downey Jr. and Law make out? I don't think it would be appealing to women. Straight men don't want to see it.” Who is this asshole?! He was a former critic for the post. Well thanks, Mike for putting your two cents in and making yourself look like a complete bigot. I found Sherlock and Watson’s relationship in the movie to be endearing and sweet. Of course, I know my hippie, be-who-you-are attitude is not by any means the predominant culture of America, but it can’t be that much of a minority! It is not okay for Medved to say what he said. It’s a deplorable testament of the growing, senseless idiocy poisoning America. The pomposity of his statement seethes with this shameless, unabashed imprudence that makes me want to projectile vomit. The New York Post was never a publication I admired or respected and it’s articles like this that cement my distaste for it.






I'm out.

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely, although I missed the first few minutes of the movie because Muvico theater employees are idiots.
    Rachel McAdams, as lovely as she is, really did seem like an afterthought. It was as though they realized they'd need some cleavage to distract the feeble-minded when their main characters started using words that rhyme with "Git'r done."

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Seriously though, that scene where she's undressing- so unnecessary! Not to mention kind of awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, would love to see Law and Downy Jr. make out.

    Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete