Thursday, April 29, 2010

On the Hunt

Alright. It's been a week and a half of ceaseless craigslisting and endless phone calling and I think if I see one more apartment my head might explode. Going through craigslist is almost like going into Forever 21, clothing strewn everywhere, an overwhelmingly diverse amount of clothing with no apparent organization, some clothing better quality than others. Am I really equating looking for an apartment with being in a clothing store? Yes. Yes, I am. I mean, some of those pictures on craigslist are definitely done by professional photographers who know how to shoot at creative angles to make space seem endless and full of possibility. They're gooood. My viewings go as follows: I show up with the beautiful image of a sunny, spacious dwelling in my head: The floor aglow with copious amounts of sunlight, the wood sparkling gaily underneath its warmth, the windows large and overpowering, exposing the greenery outside, the room large and welcoming. In reality, that glow is coming from a disgusting fluorescent light, the floor is dull and worn, the window is the size of my fist and the rooms the size of closets. "What did I do to deserve this," is all I can ask myself as the people showing me around the apartment flatly explain what everything is, "thank you, captain obvious. I think I could have gathered that a sink and a stove equals a kitchen." Oh and that's another thing! Where are the landlords finding these people to show their apartments?! Is it some kind of undergrad hotline? All of the people who have shown me apartments have been bearded men (the actual landlords), or people my age. I don't mind that my peers have taken a curious interest in real estate in the city, I do mind that professionalism may not be their forte. There was this one guy who was taking me around to different apartments when I was looking to move into a 3-bedroom. He was pretty decent, planned accordingly so as not to show me just one, single apartment. He was flexible and accommodating, but then, I called him again after my initial plans fell through, asking him to show me some 2-bedrooms- womp womp. We scheduled a meeting for 1 and to call him at 12 to confirm. So, the day rolls around and I'm feeling pretty lucky I didn't have to stare at my tiny iPhone screen to search for apartments myself.
I call him at 12 and he tells me he'll call me back in a few minutes. An hour goes by and I don't hear from him so I call him and he asks if we can push the appointment to 3. Fine. I get there and this guy doesn't have the keys to the apartment! And the other two on the list are occupied by people who obviously don't want some stranger traipsing through their home. What a mess. So I wasted an entire day of apartment hunting. Not to mention that while we were looking for my 3-bedroom after he finished showing me apartments we went to a bar. Very unprofessional, but totally awesome. He was such a nice guy, but a little flighty. Ah, well I think I may have FINALLY found a place, so I'm feeling a lot less stressed and angry with the world. We'll see how it goes, though won't we.

Gotta twerk today. Hope I don't get out too late.



I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment