Monday, April 19, 2010

Hey, you're weird.

Alright guys and dolls. I have been meeting quite a few people while living here in the BK, and I must say either 1. A majority of them have been apprehensive to pursue friendships for whatever neurosis they have, 2. Have been incredibly awkward/said really offensive, off-putting things, or 3. HAVE BEEN PLAIN FREAKING WEIRD. Is it in the water? Am I going to catch this inexplicable weirdness, too? Gosh, I hope not. I was just speaking to a good friend of mine about how hard it is to make friends. At this point in our lives are we so set in our own ideals that we can't branch out and meet people who don't share our EXACT SAME interests?! What are we... 85?! I still love going out and meeting people, don't get me wrong, but now I'm not so easily distracted by the novelty of strangers. I am more wary of people I don't know because they are all POTENTIAL NUT JOBS! So, yeah.
I remember going out to Barcade one night and meeting this girl I thought was totally cool so I was like let's exchange numbers and hang out. BAD IDEA. Come to find out this crazy girl has some SERIOUS issues. Without prompt she brought up some kinky sexual preferences she had (she said she preferred guys "dicks" but loved "tits" and wished she could have both- I by no means was offended by her desires, but extremely shocked that she would tell a complete stranger this), laughing hysterically after.She kept bringing up the fact she was Irish and proceeded to tell a very racist joke, telling me not to be offended- the joke: What does a black kid get for their birthday: PUNCHLINE: Your bike. Really?! How incredibly stupid. Um. CRAZY. At another place, I was with my friend and his boyfriend and we were all talking, sitting at the bar, and this other guy comes up to us and starts to hit on my friend's boyfriend- knowing he's taken! Telling us his boyfriend and him are having troubles, spilling his relationship details to an audience he met 5 minutes prior. WTF CRAZIES?! Oi. I just don't understand the audacity of people to just say whatever they want without consideration for others.

Oh and dating. Uuuuhhh guuuuuhhhhh. Yup, I swore I'd never talk about it on my blog, but it has to be the most confusing, awkward social experience(?). It's funny because no matter how many people I ask for advice I get the same answers, "I don't know," "I have no idea," "I'm confused, too." No one can seem to crack the shell of this age old human interaction. What does it all mean? Why do we put ourselves through it, knowing the result- more confusion and frustration. I think I'm just not cut out to date. Hanging out with my friends is just so much less stressful and not potentially mortifying... well, sometimes. Also, I wish people would just be honest. None of these lame excuses- just say what you feel. We're all adults here, right? Geebus. I'm not talking about one experience bee tee dubbs, but my general (mis)understanding of dating.
Can we just be friends? So much less pressure. Hate it. I think I'm gonna be a recluse with 96794875934 cats and imaginary friends.

I need to get out of the city. I need some good ol' nature. Somebody take me camping.

pretty please?!





I'm out.

4 comments:

  1. Stay away from the Urbanites. I wasn't too terrible was I? As for the dating, I wish I could help. We are all at a loss, it's a wonder the human race has managed to exist as long as it has. Come to SF, everyone's crazy/weird/outrageous too but it's in California so at least the weather is nice. Take care girl.

    -Nicole Coccinelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredible! I really do need to make a trip out there. i need a break from the city... yeesh. dating SUCKS. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was the joke? What did she do that was so cray? I need details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You asked for it...
    I'm gonna put it in the post.

    ReplyDelete