Friday, April 30, 2010

Union Pool

After hearing about it for months now, I finally ventured over to Union Pool last week to see what all the hubub was about. Oh yeah, and it was my friend's birthday haha.
In this unimpressive looking building so close to the BQE you could smell burnt rubber and gasoline stands this small entrance to a massive bar/venue. I went inside not expecting much. Actually, I went inside expecting there to be nothing but pool tables, because well, I'm an idiot and took the name literally. Luckily, I was not expecting swimming pools, then I probably would need a head check. Thinking it would be like any other tiny hole in the wall bar in Brooklyn- I stepped inside and was almost immediately ceased with a panic attack. It's actually quite large and has an extensive patio area. I went in and ordered a drink for my birthday bud and me at the bar. The bartender was super nice and explained what they specials were. $6 for a beer and a shot, standard at most places. Not too bad. We then took our drinks and wondered outside where we remained most of the night. It's so nice to be in the fresh night air when you're with friends and soon-to-be friends. Everyone there seemed to be very open to sparking up conversation with anyone who dared start one. It was a really nice environment, very relaxed, not judgmental like some places in Brooklyn.  Though, that may be because of obvious influences haha.  Also, I've heard that the bar tenders like to buy rounds for guys, which I think is fantastic! One of my friends didn't have to pay for their drinks because it was "too busy." It's great that they spin that whole gendered delusion for a change. Guys deserve free drinks too! Some girl I used to talk to was upset by this gesture- I'm gonna stop there, because that is opening a can of worms. I can use an entire post to explain everything wrong with that irritating presumption. Anyway, I met some really fun people that night and even saw- get this MIKE MYERS. Yes, Mike Myers also decided to hang out at Union Pool on a Thursday night. CRAZAYYY!!
Image from starpulse.com (if you haven't noticed)
Later that night I wound up at Papcitos where I got the most delicious burrito and also saw KENLEY COLLINS from Project Runway Season 5 hosting karaoke (photo from about.com). What a random night haha.
I had a lot of fun, minus some minor details, but everything turned out for the best. I'm one lucky ducky.











I'm out.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I thought the Union Pool was an actual pool! I also used to think that Jamaica Queens, was Jamaica the country. I kept asking people how they got back from Jamaica so fast.

    ReplyDelete