Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Franklin Park and Washington

I have been going out to quite a few bars, but haven't been writing about them. SHAME ON ME. Today, however, I have decided to break that horribe habit of mine and review a bar I went to a few nights ago with a group of people for a birthday party.

First and foremost, this bar is in Crown Heights. I never venture below Broadway except for very special occasions (this was one of them), so I don't know too much about it. I realized I don't like not knowing the "geography" of areas I find myself in, so either I need to get myself better acquainted with places before I go or just not leave northern Brooklyn- EVER. Because I'm lazy and stuck in my ways I'm leaning towards the latter. Not because I don't care about other places in Brooklyn, but because I don't have time/energy/resources to explore BK properly- excuses, excuses. Of course I'm going to explore Brooklyn! Well, when I'm in the mood.

Anyway, I went to this bar from Williamsburg by CAR! I NEVER TAKE CARS. I CURSE CARS AND ALL THAT THEY STAND FOR, plus I'm broke as hell. It's just one of those luxuries I dream I could afford one day. Because of that insanely strange necessity to take a car to Franklin Park I already mildly disliked the bar. With that being said, we arrived and entered the front of the place which was a large out door sitting area toward the street so it was neither flattering nor comfortable. After getting (not-so expensive, which was nice) drinks we stood around trying to find a place to sit. Unfortunately, the dance space was closed so we were stuck to our own devices and forced to entertain each other though we all knew we "just wanna dance." We found a bench which was really nice and sat around and talked for a bit. It's nice to go out with a group sometimes and just exchange funny stories and get to know acquaintances better. After looking around the bar once again, realizing there was really nothing there we couldn't do in Williamsburg, we took a car back - I don't wanna talk about it haha- and wound up at Royal Oak. I have a love/hate relationship with that bar considering 80% of the time I'm questioning why/how I got there and when I could leave. Luckily, because I was with such awesome people it was a goooood time. We danced and drank and merriment was had.

In a nutshell, I will not be going back to Franklin Park anytime soon unless maybe it's for one of those open mics or something, because I'm a sucker for open mics. Also, I was thinking it really just could've been an off night, because I've heard so many great things about the bar. Here are a few pluses:
It was a mixed crowd
The drinks were cheap
People were friendly

Eh, maybe I'll give it another chance... someday.


Oh and before I go here's a little treat/something random for you. A throwback for some. I freaking love this song...






I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment