Sunday, October 18, 2009

shaken not stirred, please.

The G????N. (The Gibson. AKA Obnoxiously Elusive/Exclusive hang out)

Pea coat-J Crew cardigan-Diesel jeans-Calvin Klein tie-Michael Kors pumps. That ladies and gentlemen is the attire of the G????N, a tiny yet (almost peevishly) swanky hole-in-the-wall bar off of U street behind an unmarked door. For some odd reason they let us vagabonds in, of course, not before feverishly checking this "list" haplessly hanging from a clip board and going inside to make sure there was "enough room" for us. So, we go in and there's hardly anyone there...hm (awkward silence). We sit at the bar where there is a vast array of alcohol lining the walls. The bar tender gives us a rundown on the unique drink choices and tells us the drinks are ""hand made" -duhhhh- and that they have their own brands of alcohol. This place is known for its cocktails and as I looked at the drink menu I quickly decided I had no idea what I wanted. I know nothing about cocktails or martinis or anything of that nature haha so the menu could've been in Mandarin and would've been just as helpful. The bar tender asked my friend and I what we like and we told him, I like sour drinks that aren't too sweet, and my friend wanted something with pineapple. Within ten minutes he whipped up the best drinks for the both of us, unique to our different tastes. He had magic hands. The drinks were crazy delicious. It's a pricey place, but after having a cocktail there I understand why.

Wonderland.

What an awesome name. And what a good time. The place is cool. Bar downstairs, bar upstairs plus an awesome space to dance. Though I must admit the crowd was a little weird that night (I was accosted by a Russian man who went on a tirade about what I was wearing, telling me I was "hiding" behind my glasses and my beanie, then proceeded to compliment me numerous times- which I did NOT mind because I'm conceited haha- and then tell me about a Jamaican poet he was really into- I also think he was there with his wife and they were swingers). I had so much fun though, dancing wildly on the stage and downing yummy drinks.

I went some other places this weekend, but I can't remember the names of any of them! So, I'll hold off on writing about them.

Time crunch again. I gotta go to work. Uggghhhhhh

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment