Monday, February 15, 2010

The Bell House



On Saturday night, I dragged my friend from VA and my friend who just relocated back to Brooklyn to The Bell House for an event called
CHERYLYMPIX. According to the facebook invite I got, Cherylympix is...

CHERYL (the dance party that will ruin your life) invites you to curl your hair, hurl your disco balls, and streamline your body with an ergonomic, aerodynamic padded flesh tone luge suit. Fall face down on the skeleton track and thrust your body through hyperspace in .00000238 seconds in the direction of the Bell House for the largest compulsive compulsory competititive LIFE exhibition on this side of GoGo.

CHERYLYMPIX events commence with the traditional mannequinhand torch running, opening ceremony with 1,000 tiny native GoGo children, and the annual kozy shack eating championships. Additional events include inappropriate javelin thrusts, breath holdings, and the face smashing playoffs.


Then there was a link to this...


(yes, it was that amazing)

So my friends and I sat around my apartment for several minutes trying to figure out how the hell to get there. After realizing our trip would take an hour and a half using trusty ol MTA, we decided on a cab. We finally got there and to my dismay the bar seemed devoid of activity. Looking nervously at my two friends hoping they would forgive me for bringing them to the lamest party ever, we stepped further inside. We ordered some drinks and started heading towards the back of the bar, and that's when I saw it. The golden gates. There was an entire other room! A sigh of relief escaped my lips and my friends and I headed into the dark room with the colorful flashing lights and loud music. The venue is a great size. Not too big, but not a claustrophobic's nightmare. It's actually very beautiful inside, but you couldn't really tell with all the lights out and an innumerable amount of people grinding on each other. There's a stage right in front of you when you walk in and plenty of standing room for dancing. A bar stood towards the back wall and another was elevated left of the stage. There were couches littered around the edges of the room where one could sit and take a breather from the massive pulsing crowd.
The music was excellent: yeah yeah yeahs, cut copy, CHROMEO. Dancing was indisputable, there were no options, your feet were required to move. We danced all night!
The only negative thing I have to say about the experience was the horrible transportation. Because it was the weekend, the trains were running at unreasonable hours. After we left we had a small squabble with an asshole cab driver that insisted on running the meter without knowing how to get to our destination. My friend loudly voiced her discontent, consequently getting us thrown out of the taxi. It was one of the funniest/ most absurd things I ever witnessed. The cabby was truly a piece of work. With spirits high, and the adrenaline (amongst other things) from hours of dancing still pumping through our veins we set off to take the subway- that didn't work. We wound up even further away and elected to take a cab after a pit stop at D and D. America runs on dunkin- apparently.

Saturday night was epic, consisting of fortified wine (cisco. you know the deal)and friends. I totally recommend The Bell House ( a bar/venue) for all your entertainment needs.



I'm out.

2 comments:

  1. I certainly agree! My only criticism is that some people needed to stop being lame and get their asses on that bumpin' dance floor!

    ReplyDelete