Monday, February 1, 2010

Not a Fan of February

It's funny, because not even 2 weeks ago my roommate was talking about how much she hated February. Her reason was though it's the shortest month of the year people seem to forget it's also extremely cold. She says, "If I can make it through February, I know I'm gonna be okay." haha


Now. Here is why I hate February:


1. Black History month: The shortest month of the year is dedicated to history that is apart of American history, yet is marginalized by being squeezed into 28/29 days of watered down accounts of inequality and focuses on the same five black people: Martin Luther King, Jr; Rosa Parks; Jackie Robinson; Harriet Tubman; Malcolm X. I don't feel special during this month, I feel ostracized and paranoid. Are white people being extra nice to me because it's black history month? Probably.

2. Valentine's Day: The most absurd (okay, one of the most absurd) holiday in American tradition. A day when every "single" person in this country feels their worst, whether they admit it or not. A day where the darkest side of me emerges and the sight of affectionate couples enrages me. Can't they put that away?! Also, the shameless prostitution that's perpetuated every year, gifts in exchange for sex? We all know that's what happens. I think Feb. 14 should be called "Legal Prostitution Day." I know I probably sound bitter, but it's just because this society's whole concept of love is warped. Love is so much more than a card or a box of chocolates or a diamond necklace or a pink Cadillac (hm. maybe not the cadillac jk jk!), and yes it's something that you should want to celebrate, but not in a disgusting, capitalistic way like Legal Prostitution Day.

3. It's short. This month makes me nervous, because there are not as many days in it as the others, which makes me think ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. February is a month of mystery and wonder. Why is this month so short? Doesn't it have something to do with a farming calendar or did someone just lop off two days for the hell of it? LAME.

4. Retail is slow, which means I'm not getting a lot of hours, which means I'm barely making any money, which means I HATE FEBRUARY.

5. The name is just plain stupid.

6. Groundhog Day. That poor groundhog. Yet another redonkulous holiday. How two stupid holidays in one month are in such close vicinity is beyond me.


Alright, I think those are all of them. I'm sure I'll be adding to the list later... ha
STINKY FEBRUARY!

At least Lost is starting this month... nah, still don't like it.

*Let it be noted I enjoy many people who's birthdays are in February, but I still hate the month. sorry.

I'm out.

3 comments:

  1. Groundhog day is one of the lamest days ever. There is always 6 more weeks of winter, ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree...that poor groundhog :[
    and valentines day is just a day to fuel consumerism...like any other holiday that you are expected to purchase things..

    ReplyDelete
  3. And wouldn't you know it, 6 more weeks of winter in 2010. AWESOME. Vday? Ugh, exactly! stupid, mindless consumerism haha

    ReplyDelete