Thursday, February 18, 2010

The PIT

The People's Improv Theatre
(The PIT)

Going to see improv shows is somewhat of a gamble. Sitting nervously in the audience you watch people use their wits and instincts to entertain you. With every scene there is a chance of unbearable amounts of discomfort and embarrassment. However, my night at The PIT was devoid of any of the aforementioned, save one improv team that shall remain nameless. It was probably just an off night, which happens! Anyway, I saw 6 brilliant improv groups this fateful Wednesday night and was impressed in one way, shape, or form by their immense talent. My favorites were Local 154, Senator, Big Black Car (Kristen Schaal from HBO's Flight of the Conchords is actually on that team as well, but was not there last night), and The Baldwins. Though, I must say, I am a little biased considering my friends were on a few of those teams, but I really did have a lot of respect for all of them because everyone had such great energy.
Sitting in the audience that night, I have never felt so proud of my friends. For years they have steadily, wholeheartedly worked on their craft and eventually landed into these two amazing improv groups at The PIT that really allow them to showcase their considerable talent. Not to mention they are two of the best people you'll probably ever meet! Anyway, the teams I mentioned made a significant impact on me and performed the kind of imrpov you would easily drop mad bank on, but their performances were free! These guys effortlessly took random suggestions from the audience and put on such an incredible show! From the minute they received the suggestion to the black out they had the entire audience's attention.
The PIT is such a great place to see improv because of it's size and intimacy. Walking out after the show and seeing the actors mingling and joking around really makes you feel more involved in the experience and not just a mindless theatre-goer.

Improv is such a hard art to master considering there is no room for fear or inhibition. Being an improv actor means you are fearless and incapable of timidity. All of the actors last night showed a fearlessness that cannot be denied and brought their A-game.

I can't wait to go back! I'm actually considering (meaning I'm most likely) taking classes offered at The PIT. I have always loved improv and after seeing those shows last night a wave of inspiration swept over me in an overwhelming way!

So go check out The PIT, they have free shows Wednesday nights and other days of the week if you look at their website, but paying that $5-$10 is totally worth it! They offer classe and many chances for amateurs to perform in front of an audience FOR FREE!

Go Improv!!



I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment