Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mind Your Manners!

So working in retail can be incredibly stressful at times, as some of you may know. Sometimes you feel like hurling hangers at unsuspecting shoppers, or screaming obscenities at annoying little children tearing through shirts you just folded because their parents are too self involved or indifferent, but instead you bottle up all of those aggressive urges behind a forced smile. When someone asks you a dumb question like, "Do you have a shirt with blue in it? There were sleeves. It was online," you want to shake them and ask them, "In what remote part of your tiny mind did you believe that was even the slightest bit helpful to me? That's like seriously asking me to look for a needle in a haystack," then walking away yell, "DUMBASS!"No. Instead you and the customer stand for a good twenty minutes trying to figure out wtf it is they want.

Today was my first real interaction with a crazy. A true crazy. I was working in the fitting room and letting a girl into an empty room. Her mom pushes past me to go in after her daughter and I politely tell her there is only one person to a fitting room. At this point the crazy comes out. She looks at me with seething eyes, her face gnarled into an impatient scowl, "No, I'm going to go in there and help my daughter get dressed." My immediate reaction was to throw my hands in the air as if I was a robber in one of those silent films and was just caught by the police, and simply mouth "Okayyy." So, I did that. Mind you, her daughter had reached- no, exceeded the age appropriate for parental supervision when trying on clothing. The crazy huffed and went in chuckling in disbelief. I laughed. It was ridiculous. That amount of energy should have never gone into that situation. What a waste- on little ol me! I didn't give a shit if she wanted to go in with her daughter, it was store policy. And when they were done in the fitting room, I could tell she was making it a point to not speak to me, so I asked her daughter how everything went and she was really sweet. I wished the both of them a pleasant afternoon- the crazy did not respond, and they left. That woman was a piece of work. Who knows what happened to her to make her react the way she did. Sad.

Work was pleasant enough, minus getting out at almost midnight. No fun-filled Saturday night for meeeee. wooooo. updating my blog. i'm so hip.

ugh.

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment